Lein Law Offices

Personal Injury - Workers' Compensation - Social Security Disability - Bankruptcy

What is a strain or sprain injury?

There are many kinds of injuries you might incur if you have an accident at work in Wisconsin. If you fall or lift heavy objects, you might find yourself with a strain or a sprain. These injuries are similar but there are a few key differences you should know about.

Strains and sprains are similar wounds that affect different parts of your body. The Mayo Clinic says that both injuries tear or stretch a part of your body beyond its normal extent. Strains typically impact your tendons and muscles. You might incur this injury in your legs and back, particularly if you do not practice correct lifting techniques at work. Sprains usually affect your ligaments. Many people sprain their ankle, but you might also hurt your wrist or knee.

There are many reasons you might incur a strain or a sprain while doing your job. If you lift heavy objects with tired muscles, other muscles and ligaments may be more likely to become overextended or stressed. Additionally, you might get these injuries if you do not usually perform much physical activity for your job. Sometimes walking across an uneven surface might also cause a sprain or a strain. If you lose your footing, you might overextend a muscle or ligament as you fall.

A sprained or strained limb is usually painful and may swell. Additionally, you may sometimes realize that your injured muscle or joint has a decreased range of motion. Both strains and sprains generally need to be iced and you may also need to elevate the injured limb. Additionally, it is a good idea to rest the wounded joint or muscle. Most of the time, you may be able to take care of your injury at home. However, if you realize part of your wound is numb or if you cannot move the injured muscle, it is a good idea to speak to your doctor. Your physician can help ensure that you do not have a more serious injury.

This information is intended to educate. It should not be used in place of legal advice.


Leave A Comment